Facts About Mental Illness
Mental Illness becomes serious health problem and creates more issues, if not taken care of. So, here mentioned are the important facts about Mental Illness & Recovery.
- Mental illnesses are serious medical illnesses. They cannot be overcome through “will power” as it is not related to a person’s “character” or intelligence. Mental illness falls along a scale of severity. Even though mental illness is general in the population, the main burden of illness is intense in a much smaller percentage-about 6 percent, or 1 in 17 who live with a serious mental illness. As per the reports of National Institute of Mental Health there is one in four adults-approximately 57.7 million population experience a mental health disorder in a given year.more
- The U.S. Surgeon General reports that 10 percent of children and youngsters in the United States suffer from serious emotional and mental disorders that cause major functional deficiency in their day-to-day lives at home, in school and with family and friends.
Mental Disorders in children & youngsters
- The World Health Organisation has reported that four of the 10 leading causes of disability in the US and other developed countries are mental disorders. By 2020, Major Depressive illness will be the leading cause of disability in the world for women and children.
- Mental illness usually attack individuals in the key times of their lives, often during youth and young maturity. All ages are prone to, but the young and the old are especially helpless.
- Without treatment the results of mental illness for the individual and society are shocking: unnecessary inability, unemployment, constituent abuse, homelessness, inappropriate confinement, suicide and lost lives; the commercial cost of untreated mental illness is more than 100 billion dollars each year in the United States.
- Today, the treatments for serious mental illnesses shows very effective and positive results of 70 to 90 percent of patients or individuals having major reduction of symptoms and started living an improved quality of life full of love, care, satisfaction and happiness with a combination of pharmacological and psycho-social treatments and cares.
- The people with serious mental illnesses are able to considerably reduce the damaging effects of their mental illnesses and live lives of satisfying achievement and independence with the help and availability of effective medical treatments and a wide range of services as needed to them. A key concept is to develop expertise in developing strategies to manage the illness process.
- The early identification of mental illnesses and then its treatment are of major importance. By confirmed admittance and access to the proven and effective recovery supports and services, recovery from various kinds of mental illnesses has increased and further harms related with the mental illnesses have reduced significantly.
Early Identification of Mental Illness
People or individuals diagnosed with any kind of mental illnesses gets ashamed, dishonoured or humiliated of the point that they are the mental illness patients and gets a major decrease in the confidence that such mental illnesses are treatable. That shame and dishonour is accepted and allowed in the society with a useless sense of impossibility for the treatment of mental issues / illnesses and created more attitudinal, operational and financial blocks barring the effective treatment and recovery of the mental illnesses treated to be irrecoverable.